The name of the castle seems to derive from a church dedicated to Saint Cecilia , built around the eleventh century, which in 1363 belonged to the Camaldolese monks ; Today the village retains a wall with a door to the Gothic arch surmounted by the coat of arms Buoninsegni and Balzana of Siena, and on the facades of the buildings are still recognizable antique shops of blacksmiths and carpenters active until the method of the last century .

Poggio Santa Cecilia is mentioned in the acts of submission that the Cacciaconti , feudal lords , had signed with the City of Siena in 1197 and in 1213 together with the inhabitants of the castle.
Given its strategic location , it was then a battleground between the Guelphs and Ghibellines : Ubertini William , bishop of Arezzo head of the Ghibelline nobility , the first occupied by force.

The Sienese government of the Fifteen , Guelph , October 31, 1285 resolved to organize against the betrayers an army commanded by Guy de Montfort . On April 6, 1286 Poggio Santa Cecilia capitulated hundred were prisoners and the castle was destroyed to its foundations . Some historians have speculated that among the ranks of Guelph there was also the twenty Dante Alighieri. Only February 26, 1357 , the Government granted to the inhabitants of Siena Poggio to rebuild and to return there to live .

In the last war between Siena and Florence (1554-1559) , Poggio Santa Cecilia remained loyal to the Republic of Siena until the capitulation . In August , 1867, lived here as a guest of Count Pietro Leopoldo , Giuseppe Garibaldi and " wound Aspromonte allayed the pangs ."

 

Sorce: Primamedia Editore